Thinking about starting a business here in San Luis Obispo County? We can help! We offer training, coaching, and hands-on assistance to help you launch and manage your business. Whether you’re just daydreaming of calling your own shots, or you’ve already established a product and customer base, there are a few things you’ll need to get started:
Writing a Business Plan
- Banks will want to see this if you plan on getting a loan, but even if you don’t think you need a loan, a Business Plan will keep you on track for success be setting a course. We can help you write a Business Plan for yourself, an investor, or a bank.
Financing Your Business
- Most start-ups need money from somewhere other than their personal bank account unless they are a service provider, but either way, you’ll need to know both how to finance your business and how to financially support yourself with your new business. The cost of living in San Luis Obispo has to be taken into account if you plan to operate and live here.
Selecting a Location
- Working from home doesn’t work for everyone. We can help you start your business right by picking the right location and negotiating the lease.
Obtaining a Tax ID And Understanding Taxes
- Are you going to use your Social Security Number (SSN), or an Employer Identification Number (EIN)? Will you need a retail license? Do you know when to pay self-employment tax? Is your head spinning yet? There is a lot to consider about local, state, and federal tax laws when starting your own business. We can help you navigate the paperwork.
- Tragically, this is where we see the most San Luis Obispo business owners go wrong. When starting a business, some people are told by a friend’s-brother’s-cousin’s-in-law that an LLC/S Corp/Sole Proprietorship/Etc. is the only way to go, so they go that way. Every business is different and this isn’t a decision to be made lightly. We can look at all of the options and help you choose the right one for you.